Contact and map
Xu Zhen - produced by MadeIn Company
September 11 - November 21, 2015
Movement Field, initiated in 2013 by Xu Zhen, is a long-term art creation and research project. It consists of a garden created out of a maze of various sized paths. Each path within the garden is the replica - enlarged or reduced - of a protest route found on the internet.
The ideological composition of these socio-political demonstrations from various places throughout world history lends the artwork the quality of a memorial. A seemingly peaceful garden invites visitors to retrace the paths of antecessors and to symbolically reenact these marches.
Movement Field at Waldburger Wouters is presented as a large-scale installation featuring an indoor miniature-garden covering the gallery floor, interspersed with a selection of ten Movement Paintings. The Movement Field garden and the Movement Paintings have been specifically created for the exhibition at Waldburger Wouters.
The show is co-curated by Chris Moore
More about Xu Zhen
Single Images of the Movement Paintings
Each painting: Spray paint on canvas, aluminium, 45x55x4cm
More about Movement Field
Xu Zhen, Movement Field, garden installation view, Sifang Art Museum, Nanjing China, 2013
Samples of protest routes
Xu Zhen, Movement Field installation view, Biennale of Lyon, 2013
Movement Field has already been shown at:
- Re-View, Opening Exhibition of Long Museum West Bund, Long Museum, Shanghai, 2014
- Xu Zhen - A MadeIn Company Production, Ullens Center for Contemporary Art, Beijing, 2014
- The Most Important Thing Is Not the Contract, OCT, Shanghai, 2013
- The Garden of Diversion, Sifang Art Museum, Nanjing, 2013
- 12th Biennale of Lyon, 2013
- Movement Field – Xu Zhen Produced by MadeIn Company, Long March Space, Beijing, 2013